Wednesday 7 May 2014

DIY Wallpaper Makeover Cupboard Doors - By Stacey

Cupboard Doors Makeover 

I decided to spruce up our linen cupboard doors they were very old scratched and stained laminate and the quote to replace the doors alone was over $2000. Which I'd prefer to spend on a holiday at the moment. 

The makeover was really easy and so cheap the hardest part was getting the doors back on I needed help, there was a fair bit of swearing and grunting from the hubby.

I chose a very simple white textured paper as the hall is small and white and my hubby wasn't completely sold with the idea - no creative trust I tell you! If it was in a bedroom or a study I'd use a beautiful bold pattern so its a feature.

First I gave the metal edges a quick coat of spray paint I just used satin white but any accent or contrast colour or gloss would look most excellent.

Before this photo doesn't highlight the ugliness very well but trust me it was awful.
here's what you need 
 You will need;
1 roll of wallpaper should be enough or use this wallpaper calculator here.
1 pkt wallpaper paste - mixed as per pack instructions 
Scissors
Stanley knife
Damp cloth 
Some thing to help smooth it out like a medium hard broom brush or paint scrapper

Step 1 prepare paste as per packet instructions

As my wallpaper wasn't a pattern that needed to be lined up I just cut out 4 sheets which was all i needed before starting I did this while waiting for the paste to set. TIP cut the sheets an inch too big its better to be too big and cut it down than too small and have unnecessary join lines or have to start that sheet again and run out off paper. 

Step 2 paint paste onto doors covering all surface area generously

Step 3 smooth on paper first with clean finger tips then with a tool to remove air bubbles
Wipe off any excess glue with clean damp cloth

Step 4 Trim excess with stanley knife

Make sure you use extra care when smoothing the join. Let dry over night.


Then re-hang doors and kiss hubby for all his hard work




close up of the pattern 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs